I have made this recipe so often that I could probably do it with my eyes shut and one hand held behind my back. My dad loves it and complains if we try to alter it in any way.
My sister and I developed this cheese ball because we couldn’t find a recipe to suit our fancy. We added a little of this, a handful of that, and, to our surprise, created something deliciously savory with a mere hint of sweetness.
It’s ridiculously easy to make. Care to learn how?
Here’s what you’ll need: cream cheese, sour cream, cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, lemon, onion, dried cranberries (optional), freshly ground black pepper, and pecans.
Begin by chopping the onion fine. You only need about 1/4 cup.
Roll the lemon and squeeze out the juice. You only need 1 teaspoon.
Place all of the ingredients except the pecans into the bowl of a stand mixer.
Beat until combined.
Scrape onto a piece of plastic wrap.
Form into a ball. Place in the refrigerator until it firms up a bit, about 30 minutes.
Toast the pecans and chop coarsely.
Just before serving, roll the cheese ball in the nuts to cover completely. You may need to press the nuts into the ball with your hands to make them stick.
Serve with your favorite crackers. I recommend something simple without intense flavors. You don’t want to overpower the cheese ball. These crispy wheats from Back to Nature are quite good.
Notes: The cranberries are completely optional. If you dislike fruit in your cheese ball, simply omit them. You can also switch out the nuts for walnuts, almonds, etc. Pecans are our favorite.
For the best flavor, take the cheese ball out of the refrigerator about 20 minutes before serving.
Our favorite cheese ball recipe. Dad complains if we make any other.
- 8 ounces, weight Cream Cheese
- ¼ cups Sour Cream
- 1 cup Finely Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- ¼ cups Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- ¼ cups Finely Chopped Onion
- ½ teaspoons Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 pinch Cayenne Powder
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- ¼ teaspoons Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- ⅓ cups Dried Cranberries (optional)
- ½ cups Toasted Pecans, Chopped Coarse (optional)
1) Place all ingredients except pecans in a large bowl. Beat with a hand mixer on medium-low speed until well combined.
2) Scrape the mixture onto a piece of plastic wrap. Cover with the plastic wrap and shape into a ball or log. Put the cheese ball on a plate and place in the refrigerator to harden, about 30 minutes – 1 hour.
3) Roll the cheese ball in the chopped pecans and place on a serving plate. Serve with crackers.
Note: this cheese is best if allowed to sit for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator to allow the flavors to blend. The flavors are best if it is allowed to sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before serving.
Erica Berge shares her wonderful recipes and amazing food photography on her blog, Cooking for Seven. She also writes about crafts and posts more of her beautiful photography in her personal blog, EricaLea.com. There really isn’t much that this amazing young lady can’t do, and we’re thrilled she does some of it here.