You must be logged in to post a review.
A healthier version of carrot cake with whole wheat flour, maple syrup and less sugar.
For the cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter two 9-inch cake pans and line the bottoms with circles of parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer, beat the eggs until frothy, about a minute. Slowly add the sugar and beat until thick and light colored, about 3-4 minutes. Add the oil in a slow steady stream. Beat in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture and mix just until incorporated. Fold in the grated carrots.
4. Equally divide the batter between the 2 prepared pans (I weighed the batter for precise measurement). Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
5. Remove from oven and allow the cake to cool in the pan on a wire rack, for about 5-10 minutes. Then turn the cakes out of the pans onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
For the maple cream cheese frosting:
1. Beat the cream cheese and butter together until fluffy.
2. Sift the confectioners’ sugar over the cream cheese/butter mixture and mix until well combined. Add the maple syrup and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
To assemble the cake:
Slice each cake in half horizontally. Place the bottom layer on a serving tray and assemble from there. Spread the top of each layer with about 1/4 of the frosting. Garnish the top with pecans, coconut, etc.
(Adapted from The Joy of Baking and Smitten Kitchen.)
Nancy is the Coupon Clipping Cook, which means she not only has an astounding number of recipes to share with us (her TK recipe box is busting at the seams!) but she's also got loads of money-saving tips in her blog (she worked at a grocery store for a number of years, so she knows her stuff). She has some pretty amazing creations, like Roasted Garlic Potato Soup and Nutty Coconut Chicken. Go check them out!
Heather is a Texas native and the blogger behind Heather's Dish. She's mom to Weston, wife to Nate, and they live in Little Rock, Arkansas with their two "stubborn and saucy" dogs Bunker and Keira. In her blog, she shares her photographs, random musings (serious and silly alike), and all kinds of scrumptious recipes---and not just evil variations of her favorite mac and cheese. Her enviable TK recipe box is a testament to that. Go see for yourself!