You must be logged in to post a review.
A vegan take on Irish coffee cupcakes, equipped with Irish whiskey and all!
For the cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In a medium-size bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder, and egg replacer.
3. In a small bowl, pour the boiling water over the espresso powder. Add the almond milk to the espresso/water mix.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer, fixed with the paddle attachment, mix the margarine and sugars on medium speed. This should be completely blended and look like small pebbles.
5. Add applesauce to the margarine mix and blend for about 5 minutes, or so.
6. Add the flour mixture, in small portions, to the margarine and applesauce mixture, then add the espresso mix to the rest of the ingredients and blend for another 2 1/2 minutes. Add the whiskey and continue to mix for another 2 1/2-3 minutes. Line two 12-count cupcake pans with paper liners (this recipe made 14 cupcakes for me, but you may be able to squeeze 16 out of it) and fill each liner 3/4 of the way full with your batter.
7. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. These were done exactly at 20 minutes and had a beautiful, smooth finish to them.
8. Remove pans from the oven and set them on a rack. Transfer cupcakes to cooling racks after about 5 minutes and prepare your frosting while the cupcakes finish cooling.
For the frosting:
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, fixed with the paddle attachment, mix the powdered sugar and margarine together.
2. Add in 1 tablespoon of whiskey, allow it to mix, add a second tablespoon of whiskey and mix.
3. If desired, add a third tablespoon of whiskey and mix. I required a third since sugar, without anything to “cut through” the sweetness aggravates me to no end. Oh, and I really love whiskey.
4. Frost your cupcakes!
These cupcakes are all about decoration. My favorites are the monster cupcakes. They are colorful, fun and so easy to achieve the cuteness. No piping skills required. I guarantee you. You can go as crazy as you want. After all they are monsters.
Nancy is the Coupon Clipping Cook, which means she not only has an astounding number of recipes to share with us (her TK recipe box is busting at the seams!) but she's also got loads of money-saving tips in her blog (she worked at a grocery store for a number of years, so she knows her stuff). She has some pretty amazing creations, like Roasted Garlic Potato Soup and Nutty Coconut Chicken. Go check them out!
Heather is a Texas native and the blogger behind Heather's Dish. She's mom to Weston, wife to Nate, and they live in Little Rock, Arkansas with their two "stubborn and saucy" dogs Bunker and Keira. In her blog, she shares her photographs, random musings (serious and silly alike), and all kinds of scrumptious recipes---and not just evil variations of her favorite mac and cheese. Her enviable TK recipe box is a testament to that. Go see for yourself!