You must be logged in to post a review.
I worked at a very popular Irish Pub in St. Louis some 20 years ago. The chef at that time shared this wonderful recipe with me. Enjoy!
1. Place the brisket with the seasoning packet (comes in the packaged corned beef) into a dutch oven and cover with water. Make sure you include the juices from the package as well. Bring to a boil then simmer for 2 1/2 hours with the lid half on.
2. Line a jellyroll pan with foil. Place brisket on foil. Add several ladles of corned beef broth onto the pan. This is what they call a “wet bath”.
3. Combine the mustard and the brown sugar and dress the brisket with half of the mixture.
4. Place brisket in heated oven of 275 degrees for 2 1/2 hours.
5. Reglaze with remaining brown sugar/mustard mixture after first hour.
6. Before pulling out the brisket, set oven on broil and broil brisket for 2-4 minutes to caramelize the top. DO NOT LET IT BURN because it will want to! Let stand for 15 mins before slicing.
7. Add quartered cabbage to corned beef broth and simmer for 30 minutes or till cabbage is tender to the fork.