You must be logged in to post a review.
These chicken noodle bowls are loosely based on Pho, a dish my husband and I have been fortunate enough to enjoy at our friends’ house. They do a traditional Vietnamese recipe with beef. The dish has a flavorful beef broth, topped with fresh aromatics and vegetables.
I decided to make this version for my husband who has been sick all weekend with a terrible cold. The ginger root provides a homeopathic element to the broth.
1. In a large slow cooker, place the chicken, ginger, garlic, water, salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper. Put the lid on the crock. Set to cook on high setting for 5 hours or low setting for 8 hours.
2. After the cooking time, carefully remove the thighs from the broth. (I use a handled strainer because the chicken will fall apart.) Place the cooked thighs on a plate and allow them to cool for 5 minutes. Remove the ginger root and garlic cloves from the broth.
3. While the chicken is cooling, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place the bean thread noodles into the boiling water and remove pot from heat. Allow the noodles to sit for 20 minutes. Then drain them. As the noodles cook, continue with the remainder of the preparation.
4. Use your hands to remove the skin and bones from the chicken. Discard them. Pull the chicken into shredded pieces. Set aside.
5. Place the shrimp into the chicken broth that’s still inside of the slow cooker basin. Allow the shrimp to cook for 10 minutes.
6. To assemble the bowls, place desired amount of noodles into the bottom of a large bowl. Top with shredded chicken. Ladle the broth over the noodles and chicken, making sure to get a few shrimp. Top with bean sprouts, cilantro, mushrooms and onions. Add soy sauce and Sriracha to desired saltiness and heat.
Nancy is the Coupon Clipping Cook, which means she not only has an astounding number of recipes to share with us (her TK recipe box is busting at the seams!) but she's also got loads of money-saving tips in her blog (she worked at a grocery store for a number of years, so she knows her stuff). She has some pretty amazing creations, like Roasted Garlic Potato Soup and Nutty Coconut Chicken. Go check them out!
Heather is a Texas native and the blogger behind Heather's Dish. She's mom to Weston, wife to Nate, and they live in Little Rock, Arkansas with their two "stubborn and saucy" dogs Bunker and Keira. In her blog, she shares her photographs, random musings (serious and silly alike), and all kinds of scrumptious recipes---and not just evil variations of her favorite mac and cheese. Her enviable TK recipe box is a testament to that. Go see for yourself!