You must be logged in to post a review.
The first time I had “gazpacho” here in the States I was so confused because in Puerto Rico, gazpacho is a salad type dish made out of avocados, tomatoes, and salt cod. Not a soup. There are many variations to this gazpacho but I like my mom’s recipe because it is easy, light, and is packed full of nutrients. Not only is it delicious but it is fairly cheap to make and yields a lot.
1. Put the salt cod in water for 25-30 minutes to remove the excess salt. Salt cod is cod dried in salt so it lasts longer.
2. Once the cod has been submerged in water for 30 minutes, remove it from the water and shred it with your fingers and place in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients.
3. In Puerto Rico we serve this with arroz blanco, which is white rice. Or as a sandwich, which is my favorite way to eat it.
** A few notes:
- I specified 30 minutes of prep time but this is for the time the cod is in water.
- Do not skip putting the cod in water. If you don’t, your dish is going to be excessively salty. Some people like to boil the cod, but to me that takes away too much of the salt and you are left with a bland piece of fish.
- The beauty of this dish is that you can add or decrease ingredients to fit your taste. For example, I only use 1/2 pound of cod for this recipe but you can use more if you like your gazpacho more meaty. I also only use 1/2 of the white onion instead of the whole thing.
The perfect hearty salad for fall!
This warm spinach salad is a healthy, hearty meal that’s perfect any time of day!
Nancy is the Coupon Clipping Cook, which means she not only has an astounding number of recipes to share with us (her TK recipe box is busting at the seams!) but she's also got loads of money-saving tips in her blog (she worked at a grocery store for a number of years, so she knows her stuff). She has some pretty amazing creations, like Roasted Garlic Potato Soup and Nutty Coconut Chicken. Go check them out!
Heather is a Texas native and the blogger behind Heather's Dish. She's mom to Weston, wife to Nate, and they live in Little Rock, Arkansas with their two "stubborn and saucy" dogs Bunker and Keira. In her blog, she shares her photographs, random musings (serious and silly alike), and all kinds of scrumptious recipes---and not just evil variations of her favorite mac and cheese. Her enviable TK recipe box is a testament to that. Go see for yourself!