You must be logged in to post a review.
BBQ chicken is a quintessential Summer food in the South. We grill it, smoke it, and roast it. However, in the Winter, those options tend to be off-limits. I have found an even better option for succulent BBQ chicken, slow cooking in the oven! This recipe is great because I can throw it in the oven when I get home from work and in 2 hours have a great dinner.
Preheat Oven to 350ºF.
1. In a small dish, combine the salt, garlic salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
2. Line the bottom of a roasting pan with the sliced onions and garlic cloves.
3. Place the chicken halves skin side up on the onions. Rub each half with 1 Tablespoon mustard and then sprinkle with the dry seasoning.
4. Tightly cover with aluminum foil, making sure to seal the edges in order to capture the steam.
5. Cook for 1 hour 15 minutes.
6. Carefully remove the foil and spread each chicken half with BBQ sauce. I like a Texas or Chipotle style, but use your favorite.
7. Return the chicken to the oven for an additional 20 minutes.
8. Using a sharp knife, carefully cut between the breast and thigh joint to separate the upper and lower quarters.
The texture is absolutely perfect, creamy and rich. You should start with 1/2 cup of cheese and go from there. If you want it cheesier and richer like me, then you can and should add 1/4 cup more. This is one of those recipes I have pinned to my fridge so that I have it close in those lazy single moments haha.
Have 30 minutes? Then you can definitely make this crazy good recipe using everyday ingredients.
Nancy is the Coupon Clipping Cook, which means she not only has an astounding number of recipes to share with us (her TK recipe box is busting at the seams!) but she's also got loads of money-saving tips in her blog (she worked at a grocery store for a number of years, so she knows her stuff). She has some pretty amazing creations, like Roasted Garlic Potato Soup and Nutty Coconut Chicken. Go check them out!
Heather is a Texas native and the blogger behind Heather's Dish. She's mom to Weston, wife to Nate, and they live in Little Rock, Arkansas with their two "stubborn and saucy" dogs Bunker and Keira. In her blog, she shares her photographs, random musings (serious and silly alike), and all kinds of scrumptious recipes---and not just evil variations of her favorite mac and cheese. Her enviable TK recipe box is a testament to that. Go see for yourself!