You must be logged in to post a review.
Lighter Creamed Chicken & Cornbread is a recipe makeover from a woman who I work with at the art center. The original recipe called for 8 tablespoons of butter and heavy cream but we fixed that! With this recipe I got it down to 2 tablespoons of butter, 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and healthy alternatives to the heavy cream like Greek yogurt and buttermilk.
For the cornbread:
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Add olive oil into an 8″ cake pan or skillet. Ensure oil is rubbed on sides as well as bottom of the pan. While preparing cornbread, place pan/skillet with oil in the oven for 5 to 7 minutes.
2. Combine dry ingredients (cornmeal through salt) in a medium size mixing bowl. In a small bowl whisk together honey, buttermilk and egg. Add wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just to combine.
3. Remove skillet from oven and pour the hot oil into the cornbread mixture, stir. Sprinkle the bottom of the skillet with 1 teaspoon of cornmeal. Pour cornmeal mixture into the skillet, smooth the top, place skillet in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden in color. Remove from oven and set pan on a rack. Keep the oven on to bake the chicken. Slice cornbread when cooled slightly.
For the creamed chicken:
1. While the cornbread is baking, place chicken breasts in a 2-quart baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Season the chicken with the Montreal steak seasoning and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until juices run clear. Remove from oven. Set aside but keep warm.
2. Put eggs into a medium bowl and set aside.
3. In a small bowl combine buttermilk, yogurt and broth. Set aside.
4. Saute the green onions, celery and mushrooms in half of the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat until tender (3-5 minutes). Add the remaining olive oil and the butter to the pan. Once butter is melted stir in flour and whisk until smooth (1 minute).
5. Add buttermilk, yogurt and broth mixture to the saucepan and whisk for 2 minutes or until hot and then reduce heat to low.
6. Temper the eggs by taking a big ladle of the hot milk mixture and pouring it into the eggs as you whisk continuously. Adding the milk in this slowly prevents the eggs from being cooked instantly from exposure to heat. Then pour the eggs and milk mixture back into the saucepan.
7. Continue to whisk the mixture over low heat until thickened.
8. Place the steam-in-bag green beans in the microwave for 4 minutes on high.
9. Chop the cooked chicken into bite size pieces and add it into the “cream” mixture. Add peas and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper and stir again.
10. Put cooked green beans in a medium bowl and season with Montreal steak seasoning.
11. Serve the hot creamed chicken over halved cornbread slices and serve green beans on the side.
Cornish hens with a garlic butter crust, smothered in lemon and rosemary!
Nancy is the Coupon Clipping Cook, which means she not only has an astounding number of recipes to share with us (her TK recipe box is busting at the seams!) but she's also got loads of money-saving tips in her blog (she worked at a grocery store for a number of years, so she knows her stuff). She has some pretty amazing creations, like Roasted Garlic Potato Soup and Nutty Coconut Chicken. Go check them out!
Heather is a Texas native and the blogger behind Heather's Dish. She's mom to Weston, wife to Nate, and they live in Little Rock, Arkansas with their two "stubborn and saucy" dogs Bunker and Keira. In her blog, she shares her photographs, random musings (serious and silly alike), and all kinds of scrumptious recipes---and not just evil variations of her favorite mac and cheese. Her enviable TK recipe box is a testament to that. Go see for yourself!