You must be logged in to post a review.
What makes a Caramel Macchiato, in my mind, is the wonderful layers. First sweet milk (milk and flavoring), then fresh espresso, topped with warm caramel sauce. Unmixed, the contrast of the bitter espresso and the sweet milk with caramel is the definition of bliss. Perfecto!
Five Steps to the perfect caramel macchiato:
1. Ice: To a tall glass, add about five large ice cubes (about a cup of ice).
2. Milk. Add one cup of milk on top of ice.
3. Flavoring: You can choose one of two methods, if you are in a hurry, do the first method. If not, then I suggest Method Two which is similar to the flavoring you would buy in the store!
Method One: Add a very scant 1/4 (more like just a drop) teaspoon of vanilla extract + two to three packets of your favorite substitute sugar on top of the milk. Mix with milk and ice.
Method Two: (This is best to make ahead of time) Bring the cup of sugar and 1/4 cup water to a boil without mixing (only swirling the pan) until sugar crystals are dissolved. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Let cool and store in a glass jar. Use 2 Tablespoons of this to flavor the drink. Add this on top of the milk and ice and mix to combine.
4. Espresso. You will need a half a cup of espresso. To make this in an espresso machine add a half a cup + two Tablespoons of water, as some of it will evaporate. If you do not have an espresso machine you can make a VERY strong 1/2 cup of coffee.
To add the coffee to your drink grab a large spoon and hold the back of it right over the milk and pour, this way the coffee doesn’t mix with the milk (it will just sit on top of it).
5. Caramel Sauce. You can use store-bought caramel sauce of any kind, or you can make my homemade recipe in my recipe box.
Drizzle about 2 Tablespoons of caramel sauce around the edges of the cup and over the top of the drink.
Voila! You’re done! You now have a Starbucks-quality drink on your hands, and for only a fraction of the cost! Don’t get too excited!
*Note: for a HOT Caramel Macchiato you can steam the milk and leave out the ice. A great addition to this is whipped cream. Enjoy!
We’re all familiar with adding rum to eggnog. Well, one of my favorite cocktails is a Black Russian so I changed it up a bit. I do keep Kahlua on hand but for those who may not, here’s an eggnog Black Russian that’s made using instant coffee granules. It’s an economical option to purchasing a whole bottle of Kahlua!
Nancy is the Coupon Clipping Cook, which means she not only has an astounding number of recipes to share with us (her TK recipe box is busting at the seams!) but she's also got loads of money-saving tips in her blog (she worked at a grocery store for a number of years, so she knows her stuff). She has some pretty amazing creations, like Roasted Garlic Potato Soup and Nutty Coconut Chicken. Go check them out!
Heather is a Texas native and the blogger behind Heather's Dish. She's mom to Weston, wife to Nate, and they live in Little Rock, Arkansas with their two "stubborn and saucy" dogs Bunker and Keira. In her blog, she shares her photographs, random musings (serious and silly alike), and all kinds of scrumptious recipes---and not just evil variations of her favorite mac and cheese. Her enviable TK recipe box is a testament to that. Go see for yourself!