You must be logged in to post a review.
I’ve been making this bread for 30 years and it is easy, delicious and makes two loaves (one to give and one to keep).
1. Combine the warm water and the dry active yeast. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the hot water, oil, sugar, salt and half of the flour. Stir with a wooden spoon.
3. Add yeast mixture and stir.
4. Add the remaining flour and stir. Leave spoon in the dough.
5. Let rest for 10 minutes.
6. Stir and let rest for 10 minutes again.
7. Repeat rest and stir process three more times (for a total of five times).
8. Divide dough in half.
9. Turn out one half on a floured surface. Press out to a rectangle. Roll up (like making cinnamon rolls) and place on a greased baking sheet. Repeat with the other half.
10. Let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
11. With a sharp knife, make 3 diagonal slashes across each loaf. Brush with egg white.
12. Bake in a 400-degree oven for 25-30 minutes. Remove from the baking sheet to a cooling rack.